- Maintenance Personnel
- Safety Professionals
- Managers, Supervisors
- Maintenance Managers
- Anyone responsible for the supervision and safety of others who work at heights in Communication or Lift Towers.
This Tower Climbing Systems course uses a combination of classroom and hands-on fieldwork to train workers in the use of fall protection systems when working at height. Students learn in a hands-on environment about:
- Self-retracting lifelines
- Horizontal lifelines and vertical lifelines
- Rope grabs & ladder safety devices
Students are audited on their practical performance including demonstrating good judgment in fall protection systems and techniques. The rescue portion of this program demonstrates the VSI Tower Rescue Kit. The kit provides a safe and simple solution to operations that have workers climbing towers that are long distances away from organized emergency response teams.
After completing this course, the student will understand and be capable of using a variety of fall protection and rescue systems. Students will be able to:
- Assess work hazards
- Plan and set up fall protection systems
- Plan and set up rescue
Students will be able to exercise judgment based upon available anchorages, clearance requirements, surrounding structure, and rescue considerations. Using VSI’s unique logbook, the students will have a method of logging and planning each of their climbing tasks at height. The logbook acts as a comprehensive, quick, and simple Job Safety Analysis for each job.
- Length: 2 days (16 hours)
- 1 instructor per 10 students
- Pre-requisite required: Tower Climbing Level I or equivalent experience
- An annual refresher is recommended